Thursday, September 24, 2009

The last straw.

This past month has been insane. Our house is requiring a bit more immediate work that we had anticipated. We have bugs. The kids have been sick. Work is busy (a good thing for job security). And life is plain wild in general.

Just in the past week we've had two leaks, one in the roof that was easily repaired and one in the guest bathroom downstairs (not the master bath, that was 3 weeks ago and turned out to be the air conditioner leaking into the bathroom). The commode in the guest bathroom was leaking into the floor. It's never a good sign when the floor feels mushy and water squishes up through the wood slats when you walk on it. Due to repairs, there will be an open hole in that bathroom for another week. Very third-world-esque.

We aren't sure where they came from, but for the past week we've had literal swarms of gnats in our kitchen and bathroom. We are steadily whittling that population down (see picture of our homemade gnat trap). We've found several other ideas online that are working as well. No frogs, locust, or hail yet, though it's rained so much lately that Joe hasn't been able to mow and we can only see the tip of Tucker's tail when he traipses through the grass as we take him out.

Ava had to have a VCUG which required a catheterization. It was awful to have to hold her down while they did the cath and x-rays. She does have mild reflux and her pediatrician is recommending we see a Urologist at LeBonheur for follow-up. Other than that, she's been well for the past 2 weeks- Hallelujah!

Cate required a trip to the pediatrician's office yesterday- where they all know us by name and I've begun to just tell them, "Every couple of weeks we start missing ya'll and feel like we should just stop by." She has strep again and that sweet MD gave me a prescription for Ava just in case she needs it so we won't have to go back this week. (She hasn't so far.) I can't tell you how much hand sanitizer I put on the girls before, during, and after going to the clinic. I feel like we are covered in germs when we leave, not that it's dirty, there are just SO many sick babies in there. It has been packed lately. After we left the doctor's office we had to go to the Employee Pharmacy to get Cate's antibiotic. The pharmacy is very small and all the low shelving stocked with brightly labeled medication bottles is just too tempting for Ava. After being reprimanded several times, "No Ava, don't touch that. NO AVA. DO NOT touch that, " Ava decided to sit in a chair and Cate was sitting quietly beside her looking at the June 2007 issue of Better Homes and Gardens. I thought it would be a good time to call and update Mama on Cate's status. Ava got tired of the chair and walked the 4 or 5 steps over to the glass exit door. I was still on the phone, but I was looking right at her. She gave the door a few slaps and then, she licked it. By this time, Cate was standing beside her and she also licked the door. The door to the pharmacy. The door everyone who is sick and comes in to get their medication touches. The nasty pharmacy door. And before I could get off the phone and get over there they had both done it again. Well, if they weren't good and sick then, they will be now.

I received a summons for jury duty in the mail today. I'm sure I'll have more to say about that at a later date.

Cate stayed home from preschool today since she was still contagious, but she really didn't feel that bad. She got pretty bored and by tonight, she was wild. We aren't used to her being into everything. I was cooking supper with Ava's assistance and really wasn't paying a lot of attention to Cate. She asked for a straw and I showed her the drawer they were in and turned around to chop broccoli. The girls are fast asleep in bed and I just finished picking up the last of the 50 pack of straws that Cate had strewn all over the living room.

We will get things with the house straightened out soon I hope, surely the gnats can't live for forever, and the girls will get well. As for the hectic schedules and wild kids, that may not change much. My babies sure do look sweet sweet when they're sleeping though.


A small sample of our gnat population.

No comments:

Post a Comment