We took Cate two years ago when she was Ava's age. At the time, we weren't sure how Cate would do. She was a good rider for the most part, but we weren't accustomed to long trips. Surprisingly, Cate did great and we had an awesome time. She was tentative on the beach and didn't care that much for the sand or the chaos of the ocean, but overall was a great sport.
We expected Cate to do just as well this time around, but we weren't sure about Ava. Cate and Ava have developed very differently. While Cate was always pretty good about playing by herself and not whining, Ava has been the opposite. By the same token, Cate has always seemed to be fairly meek and Ava is downright aggressive and even mean. Another difference was exposed on this trip: Cate has remained cautious and sometimes fearful, and Ava is fearless.
As an aside, it may seem to the readers of this blog that we are enamored with Cate and don't discuss Ava that much. We are just as enamored with Ava. She just does things that are harder to describe. Although her vocabulary is constantly expanding, 80 to 85% of her verbage is as follows: "Dora (pronounced 'Dowewra')" and "No (pronounced "Nah," "No," "NO!", "NOOOO!!!!", and "Nih"). "Dora" can mean the following: 1) I want to watch Dora. 2) I just saw Dora (either on TV or on a T-Shirt or toothbrush). 3) Dora is so cool. Even though I am doing something else, she is on my mind. 4) Get me something to drink or eat. "No" can mean 1) No, I don't want that. 2) Yes, I do want that. 3) Leave me alone Cate. 4) LEAVE ME ALONE CATE!! 5) I can tell you just asked me a question, and I feel like this is an appropriate answer.
Also, Ava has an infectious smile. And for the most part she was a really good rider. 6 hours of Dora makes her very happy and quiet.
At any rate, as I mentioned above, she is fearless. Like Cate, the sand was at first an annoying foreign substance that she preferred not to deal with. The ocean, however, was not. We took her out into the water and she laughed and giggled like there was no tomorrow. We then put her in a float and let her ride the waves. This was even better, because she was more independent. Cate hung back on the beach and was afraid to come any further. When we finally took Ava out of the water to rest, she fought to get back in the ocean. She would throw caution to the wind and walk straight into the water. If a wave knocked her down, she would laugh and get back up and go further. Most of the time she had to be rescued before the water came in over her head.
Lauren and I don't know what to make of this. Our oldest is meek and cautious. Our youngest is aggressive and fearless. We now fear the teenage years with her.
Anyway, witness the end result of an attempt to take some sunset pictures in a pink dress.
- Joe
No comments:
Post a Comment