Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Book.

I guess it is just a book, but last night I started reading The Cricket in Times Square. Cate has weaseled her way into getting to stay up a little later by asking to read chapter books. Joe actually started it several months ago by bringing home an Uncle Remus book from his childhood. We still can't tell if she retains much from the stories or if she's just wanting to get to stay up later than Ava since Ava is still too young to sit through more than a couple of sentences of a book without pictures, lift-the-flap, glitter, or her beloved Dora.

I still remember snuggling in bed with my mama and little sister reading about Harry Cat, Tucker Mouse, Chester Cricket, and Mario. In some ways these characters, along with Ramona and Beezus, Superfudge, The Little Princess, Mary and Colin from The Secret Garden, Matilda, and quite a few more, are more than that. They are part of my childhood and "let's 'tend like" play times with my sister. We loved reading before bedtime and it led to my love of books now. It's a little silly, I know, but I am so excited to introduce my girls to these stories and old friends.

I really can't wait for the Anne of Green Gables series...

No comments:

Post a Comment