Anecdote #1: I walk in from work today, about 30 minutes earlier than normal due to a seminar ending early. I noted that Lauren's car was gone as I pulled up. I assumed that she was on her way home with the kids. Upon entering, no dog greeted me, and the girls' bags were on the counter. So they have come and gone and the dog has gone with them. No luck trying to call, so I imagined some dog related emergency. I called my mother-in-law who would know if something were up with Tucker. She hadn't heard from them.
A few minutes later, the phone rang. They had been at the Hacketts' house. The Hacketts are our friends. We met them through church, and they live in our neighborhood. They also have a male Westie, who looks very much like Tucker. Petey came and played at our place last week, which thrilled the girls and Tucker, and so they made a return trip today.
This was explained to me as they walked in. Cate was in good spirits and Lauren was carrying a pantless Ava. She gave me pantless Ava and a set of soaking wet baby capris. Before I could ask, Lauren was back outside again opening the car door to let Tucker out. Mama Sue (my Mom) was scheduled to bring us supper shortly and she was waiting on us to call and order it so she could pick it up. I tried to ask Lauren what she wanted to eat, but Tucker shot across the street and Lauren set off after him.
I was left holding a baby in one hand with wet pants in the other watching the dog totally ignore my wife who was ordering him to come home, needing to get a food order in immediately. I asked Cate what she wanted to eat. "Chicken Nuggets." Of course. Then my mind turned to the sopping wet pants in my hand. I wondered if I was dealing with a massive diaper leak. I asked Cate what happened to Ava's pants. "She knocked over Petey's water bowl." Ah ha. That explains it. My mind drifted back to the food order trying to figure out what Lauren would want (which always fails). "What are we going to do?" I wondered aloud. "Well, we can either spank her or put her in the corner" came Cate's reply. Cate apparently does not tolerate babies with wet pants.
Anecdote #2: Ava is growing and changing rapidly. Her language skills seem to be developing as quickly as her mothering instincts. Outside of her fair share of whining, she has typically been a pretty quiet baby. She's been able to say "Daddy" and "Mama" for some time now, as well as "Nanna" (Nancy, Lauren's Mom) and a few random words here and there. Now, she babbles quite a bit, but one word has come to the forefront: "No." Except it's more like "NAHHWWWW," but not in a casual Southern way.
She also has become quite attached to Cate's favorite and most important doll, Christy. We have given Ava other babies, but she only gives these babies token love. Christy is who she is interested in. Cate goes through phases of being interested in Christy, but Ava wants her all the time, which, of course, makes Cate want her as well.
If you hung around our house in the last two weeks you would probably see the following: Cate minding her own business, playing or watching TV. Ava saunters into the room with Christy. Cate sees Christy and knows that this is one of the few toys that really is hers (Christy was given to Cate by Mama Sue when Ava was born to give her a baby to take care of too). If we are not watching closely, Cate will quickly go through the motions of negotiating by saying in a baby voice "Give me Christy, Ava," and then she might try to trade Christy for some much less valuable trinket. When this doesn't work, Cate will use force and take Christy from her. Ava will then unleash a loud "NNNAAAAAHHHWWWWWW" or several short "NAW! NAW! NAW!'s" and burst into tears. We then intervene and attempt to make peace, but the damage has been done.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment