Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Soccer Practice

Several months ago Cate asked if she could play soccer. I did not think to ask her why she wanted to play. A few days after I had actually signed her up and paid for it she tells me, "I want to play soccer like Olivia." Olivia the Pig on Nick, Jr. that is. When Joe mentioned practicing in the yard sometime she told me, "Mama, I don't need to practice. I know how to play. I watch Olivia."

Well, tonight was our first practice and I did not take our camera, but if I had, there would be pictures of Cate making sure the hair that was falling out of her pony tail was "smoothed". There would be pictures of Ava trying to get in the middle of the team huddle and Cate taking her by the shoulders, turning her out from the group, and giving her a little shove back towards the sidelines. There would be pictures of Ava lying down in the middle of the field and rolling around, much to Cate's disgust again. There would be pictures of Cate standing back, watching the rest of the team run to the goal as one of the girls kicked, kicked, and scored. She was just a little tentative. Ava was torn up that she was not allowed to get out there and play with the big girls. She will probably not be attending too many games. Not to say it was all bad. There would also be pictures of Cate doing drills with her coach, scoring in the scrimmage, and giving high-fives. There would be a picture of the sweat matted wisps of hair on a tired, pink cheeked but smiling face as Cate buckled into her seat.

"I get to go to practice again next week!"

No comments:

Post a Comment