Monday, December 28, 2009

Yes, the wife is sneaky.

....My mom is immensely talented. In between co-running a CPA firm, playing the organ and piano for most of the second half of the year (including the church Christmas program), and mothering a college student, she found time to make her patented and world famous Christmas cookies. These cookies were a staple of my childhood. I have known them as long as I can remember.

She has used the same cookie cutters for years - including, but not limited to, a big Christmas tree, a little Christmas tree, a big angel, a little angel, a star, a candy cane, a wreath, the occasional teddy bear, and finally the greatest cookie of all, the snowman.

These cookies, as much as anything, are a work of art. She probably uses 8-10 colors of icing and all manners of sprinkles, M&M's, and chocolate chips. The angel has yellow hair and white clothing. The big Christmas tree has a brown stump, a green body, and multicolored M&M's for Christmas lights. The candy cane is red and white striped (painstakingly), and finally the snowman has a white body with a green and red scarf, chocolate chip eyes, and 3 chocolate chip buttons.

All kids love these cookies, including mine. Cate is, in fact, learning the art of delayed gratification. She analyzes the cookie tray and decides which ones she wants to save. With a few cookies left, Cate announced that she would eat the candy cane and the snowman. She would keep a constant check on these two cookies to make sure nobody ate them. And so, after lunch yesterday, she pulled the trigger on the candy cane. The last and greatest cookie, the snowman, would be her post-supper dessert, I was informed. It waited its turn on a crumb filled red paper plate on the counter.

We had a good day yesterday. Both Lauren and I got to exercise and we got most of the Christmas decorations put up. Unfortunately and unknown to me, all of that work built up an appetite.

I was standing in the kitchen getting ready to start on the dishes when Cate said. "Ok, can I have my snowman now?" "Sure," I said, as my eyes wandered to the spot on the counter where the plate was sitting. No plate. No nothing. Gone. I looked up at my wife who was sitting at the table by Cate. She was looking down at her plate. Her face was red, and she shielded her eyes from those of her daughter. She laughed guiltily. Interpreting the situation, I acted quickly.

"Hey Cate," I said, opening the fridge. "I am going to make these cookies in a minute. You want one?" I held out the Pillsbury brand Christmas cookies that you just pop on the pan and warm up. This was a poor substitute and Cate knew it. "Ok, but can I have my snowman cookie?" I again looked at my wife.

"What kind of person are you?" I whispered. She didn't respond. We were both bracing for the coming fit.

"Cate," I said, desperately, "There's a bird in the dining room. It's red. Go in there and see if you can find it." She nervously peered around the corner. "I don't see a bird," she said. "It's there. Go in there and say 'tweet, tweet, tweet,' and it will come out."

The ruse worked. She was distracted long enough until bath time. I bathed Cate and Ava and dressed them both. As is the custom, we briefly turned on the tv as we readied them for bed. Just as we were about to read books, Cate sauntered up. "Can I have my snowman cookie now?"

Defeated, I told her to go ask her mother. It was over. I wasn't going to take the bullet.

I watched her walk innocently in to the bedroom where Lauren was. Curiously, I heard no hysterics. After a moment, I went to investigate. She met me at the door, giggled, and said "Ya'll ate it."

Come again?

"Ya'll?"

"Yeah," she said, "You and Mama ate it."

I marched past her into the bathroom. Lauren was laughing and waiting. "Cate," I called. "Come here." She came in and asked what was so funny.

In front of her, I turned to my wife. "Lauren, who ate the snowman cookie?"

"Cate, I ate your snowman cookie," she said.

"That's ok, mama," she said, and walked off.

Sometimes it's good to have a forgiving 3 year old. Really, she's almost four.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment