Friday, December 25, 2009

Santa Claus 2009

Well, Santa got a little too ambitious at the Babb house this year. The plan originally started as a way to save money- I would make the girls' big present. In the end, I'm not sure if I saved very much and I lost some of my sanity and a lot of sleep in the process.
It definitely does take a village to raise a child and this year it took one to have Santa Clause. When we were little, my sister Catherine and I "tended like" (pretended) for hours on end. We had great fun dreaming up this room for Cate and Ava. Catherine spent hours plotting, designing, and planning the mural, the chalkboard, stripes, and a few other things. My Granny sewed the panels, roof, and ties. Grandpa (Lynn) painted the room blue, worked on the trim, and helped with the stripes. Nana (Nancy) kept the girls and stayed up with us Christmas Eve organizing and putting the finishing touch on things. Tracie came by and painted the apple. Even though I think he thought it would never happen, Joe put up with the whole idea and and helped with the entire process from the end of October until 3 am this morning. And I put every last tiny stitch in the rest of the house (with the exception of the flowers- I ordered those from Etsy). I'm still not sure if I'm going to let them touch any of it.

BEFORE



Catherine hard at work. She swears she will never paint another rainbow again. For some reason, it was the most tedious and several times she threatened just to paint completely over it.
The reading corner and our striped "accent" wall. The word "PLAY" hangs from the ceiling.

Catherine painted the murals. I took pictures of their favorite babies and stuffed animals and framed them on the walls.


Their Christmas stuff won't usually be in the middle of the floor (though I'm sure a pile of toys will). They can go in and out through the tunnel.
The front of the playhouse. I wish I could have figured out a way for the door to open, but it doesn't. The mailbox pocket does open and they even have mail made of felt.
Ava and Cate bunnies. Cat drew these off for me. There's even a carrot in Cate's bunny purse as a secret surprise.
I'd never seen chalkboard paint before, but it's great. It really is just like a chalkboard. Cate loves to play school (I don't know where she gets her bossiness).
"Dear Cate and Ava, I left your presents in the playroom. Here's the key. Merry Christmas! Love, Santa"

Their stools. The next ones I do will NOT have stiped legs. They will be solid.


Totally worth it.

Cate loved all of her dress- up clothes and her new mirror.
Merry Christmas my Sweet Girls!

P.S. Joe feels I should disclose that this should not be mentioned to Cate or Ava. He is scared to death they'll find out that we did it, not Santa, and they won't believe in Santa, so, SHHH!

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness!!!! WOW??? I am so amazed!!! Wow. miss yall.
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic!! Now that we have decided to do a playroom here...will you help me with it??? ha
    P.S. I think Catherine "fixed" my apple because it did not look that great when I finished it...Love yall! Tracie

    ReplyDelete