Friday, June 28, 2013

Nightmare

Joe and I met each other.  Getting in and out of bed.  At 4 am.  I had just finished feeding Jack and tucking him back in his crib.  Joe was responding to a "Daaaaaddddy" from the bedroom at the end of the hall.  The bedroom that is often inhabited by strange and unusual visitors in the middle of the night.  Jack is still eating every 3- 3 1/2 hours during the night.  I like my sleep.  I fell into bed, haphazardly threw part of the sheet around me and immediately drifted into a deep sleep.  I do not remember Joe returning to bed, getting up and dressing, or leaving for work. 

So, later this morning after breakfast I asked Ava how her night went.  Her face become solemn and she got a far off look in her eyes.  "Well, I heard something pecking on our house and scratching and I knew it was the big crow.  It was trying to get in my room again.  I told it to hush 2 times, but it wouldn't quit pecking on stuff.  Then it let bugs come because birds have bugs and there was a bug on my ceiling.  Daddy said he would lay down with me for 2 minutes but he really stayed longer (I'm sure he fell asleep) and the crows went away for now."  Then her gaze snapped back and she ran off down the hall.  The next sound I heard was her singing to her babies in her room, not a care in the world.  On average, this crow stops by once a week.  It's a big black crow.  Sometimes it pecks.  Sometimes it crows.  It always elicits a call in the dead of night.  We keep threatening to let her watch a horror movie so she will have real nightmares, worth startling us out of the deepest of sleeps.  I do get kind of tickled thinking of her laying in the bed telling that crow to hush.  In the daytime that is.

Text messages this morning:
Me:  The crow was pecking last night, huh?
Joe:  Yes.  Good gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment